Extracted from the MEXICO WEEKLY LEDGER, Mar. 25, 1937 p 6/5 & 6

During the Civil War for a period of time the Union troops were stationed in the Mexico Presbyterian Church and the church at that time stood on the lot just west of the present parsonage and the ground now occupied by the parsonage was a garden plot adjoining the James Pasqueth residence to the east.

Many amusing incidents occurred in the town during the time the soldiers were encamped in the city and some that were anything but amusing.

The writer heard Dr. Bourn, father of Mrs. W. W. Fry and grandfather of Judge Wallace Fry, tell the following story several times. It seems the doctor had been out in the country calling on a patient. It was a bitterly cold day in mid-winter and as he journeyed back to town on horseback, he arrived at the outskirts of Mexico just after dark and a sentry who was guarding the road entrance called out "Whoa, halt, who goes there?" The doctor stated he halted with positive quickness and replied "physician". The sentry shouted back "Fishing, h--l, this is no kind of a day to go fishing."

While the troops were camping in the church, a wounded and captured Confederate soldier was brought to town and the Union Provost Marshal placed him in the care of Mr. and Mrs. Pasqueth, with instructions to let no one see or interview him. He was put in what is now the northeast upstairs room of the present Pasqueth home and was being nursed back to health. Some of the soldiers made up their minds to get in the house and see the Confederate and made several attempts to do so only to be met by Mrs. Pasqueth with the statement that they could not see him.

One day three big brawny men arrived, knocked on the door and announced to Mrs. Pasqueth that whether or no, they were going to get that Confederate.

The stairway landing is near the front door, so Mrs. Pasqueth placed herself on the landing and stated that if they went upstairs they would do so over her dead body.

After much swearing and rough talk the soldiers gave up the idea of trying to get by her and left.

That night some one rocked the house and broke every window light in the place. The rocking was so thorough that the occupants had to lie down on the floor away from the windows to prevent being hit. No further attempts were made to get the Southern soldier. The Pasqueth home is today the oldest building in the city and one of our most historical structures.