Back to Towns Page
about the City of Mexico
Cite source of information as from Pictorial History of Mexico, Missouri , 1880-1959
Contributed by: Kathy Crouch
Mexico was founded in 1835 by the Rev. Robert C.
Mansfield and James H. Smith. It was part of Monroe County. The
formation of Audrain County came a few months after the city’s
A.P. Green bought Mexico Brick & Fire Clay Co. in 1910
J.B. Arthur requested ownership interest in A.P. Green Co.
and was refused. He started Mexico Refractories Co. (Mex-R-Co) in 1929.
1940: 300 million bricks being shipped and 450 employees. 787
employees in mid 1950s. In 1959 the company was sold to Kaiser
Little Dixie Drive-Inn
Sutton’s Palace Airdome: 1909-1914, 220 W. Monroe.
Showed outdoor movies and had live vaudeville acts.
Founded by Warner W. Williams – he sold it in 1892, bought
it back in 1904. The Crown Laundry has been operated by four generations
of the Williams family and Crown Linen is the oldest family-owned
business in Mexico. The laundry is located at Liberty and Washington
Streets since 1909. Originally it was located at 113 S. Washington
Established as Morris Shoe Co. in 1905 on West Liberty
Street. International Shoe
Co. took over operations in 1912. At peak of operations: 440 employees
producing 2000 pairs of shoes per day. Moved to Elmwood Drive in 1970.
Closed in 1981.
School system dates backward to few years after Civil War.
no longer in existence:
South Side, West Breckenridge Street
Central (1873-1928) , West Jackson and Olive Streets
McMillan High (1906-), East Monroe St.
St. Brendan High
College/Hardin Junior High – College established in 1873 with
480,000 endowment from former Gov. Charles Hardin, Mexico resident. Was
one of top female schools in Midwest. Served more than 5000 students
before closed in 1931 with massive financial problems. Presser Hall, the
gym and one of the dormitories were revamped as the Junior High School
and was used as such until the present Junior High was built. Mexico
Schools are now using the former Junior High School.
The Hoxey, South Jefferson Street, destroyed by fire in 1980.
Was previously gutted by fire in 1912 and rebuilt.
The Ringo, burned in the famous fire of 1913
Windsor (1880) , Jackson and Clark.
Air Park , built in 1950 adjacent to the airport. First
Kings Daughters Home for Aged Women was dedicated in 1905.
Still in operation.
Nexico Business and Professional Women’s Club
Orpheus Music Club
The Monday Music Club
Abbie Llewellyn Snoddy Music Club
Natural Born Grabbers Club
Elks Club had a convention in Mexico in 1924
Chamber of Commerce
Mexico Hospital, 1913, old Windsor Hotel building at Jackson
and Clark. Building later became Hamilton Apts in 1919. Burned in 1930s
Amanda Hospital (generally known as Coil Hospital)
Founded in 1918 at 7`` E. Jackson and named in honor of Founder Dr. Paul
E. Coil’s mother. Coil had a practice 1904-1945.
General Hospital, West Love Street, Opened by Dr. H.I.
Nesheim in 1940. Existance was attributed to split between MDs and Dos.
Closed in 1955.
Audrain Hospital –Only hospital still operating today
– cornerstone of first bond-supported hospital in state was laid on
March 18, 1918. Remodeled in with a new wing added 1954. The hospital
has been remodeled and enlarged several times since then.
City Hall,, Promenade and South Jefferson, 1885-1970
Mexico Library, originally at Washington/Anderson Street,
1913, Much of funding provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation.
There are pictures on the web at