Its Area-Water Courses-Old
Settlers-Residents of the Township in 1848-Benton - Its
History - Business Directory
Loutre was one of the original townships of the
county; its area, however, was considerably reduced by
taking from it a portion of the territory which forms
Linn township. It contains fifty-four square miles and is
watered by Loutre creek, with one or two of its
tributaries, and by one of the affluents of Salt river.
Frederick Vaughan was a soldier of the Revolution and
resided in Henry country, Virginia. He married Nancy
Boulware, and they had Catherine, Polly, Nancy, Fannie,
Patsey, Robertson, Frederick and Martin, all of whom
settled in Shelby county, Kentucky. Martin, Frederick,
Polly, Fannie and Patsey came to Missouri with their
parents. Martin was married three times: first, to
Rebecca Taylor, second, to Susan Proffit, and third to
Caroline Wilborn. He had only three children, and was
still living in Audrain county in 1874.
George Douglass, whose parents were Scotch, settled first
in Amherst county, Virginia, and removed from there to
Bedford county. He married Mary Tucker, and they had
Lucinda, David, John, Murphy, William, Polly, Susannah
and Sally. Lucinda, John, Polly and Susannah remained in
Virginia, where they married and raised large families.
Murphy married and settled in the northern part of
Alabama. William married and settled in Byron county,
Kentucky. Sally married John Coward, who settled in
Shelby county. David was a soldier in the War of 1812. He
married Sally White, a daughter of Jacob White and
Rebecca Hollaway, by whom he had Nancy, Elizabeth,
William B., Louisa, Edward H., Mary A., Martha, Lumira,
Sarah, Edith, Robert H., Edna and Keran. William B., who
is a minister, settled in Missouri in 1830. He was
married in 1832 to Lucy Chick, the ceremony being
performed by Esquire Enoch Fruite. They had six sons and
two daughters. Mr. Douglass taught school for some time
after he came to Missouri, and he had a great many grown
pupils who did not know their letters. It was the fashion
then to study out loud in the schoolroom, and each one
would try to get his lessons in a loader tone than the
others, and sometimes the noise would be so great that it
could be heard half a mile. After Mr. Douglass began to
preach he was frequently called upon to marry people. On
one occasion he went seven miles to marry a couple,
through a drenching rain, swimming several creeks that
lay in his route, and returned the same day, for which he
received the magnificent sum of fifty cents. He then had
to go thirteen miles on a cold rainy day and pay that
fifty cents to have the marriage recorded. Such were the
trials of pioneer preachers. Edward H. Douglass settled
in Audrain county in 1837. He married Mary J. Ogden, of
Virginia, by whom he had two sons. He died in 1838. Sarah
Douglass married her cousin, Robert Douglass, and settled
in Johnson county, Missouri.
William Hall, of England, settled in Pennsylvania, and
was killed by the Indians. His son John married Magdalene
Smith, and they had John, William, Matthew, Jesse,
Hezekiah, Elisha, Tabitha and Keziah. Elisha married
Sarah Bent, and they. had ten, children. Two of their
sons, John and Banks B., settled in Missouri in 1832.
John married Elizabeth Moon. She is dead, but he is still
Coulbourn Brown, of Pennsylvania, was killed in the
Revolutionary War. He had a son named Solomon, who
settled in Bourbon County, Kentucky, when he was a boy.
He married after he was grown, and had two sons, William
and Coulbourn. The former lived and died in Kentucky.
Coulbourn married Jane Taylor, who was of Irish descent,
and they had William, Samuel, Alexander, Clarissa,
George, Laban I. T., Coulbourn, Jr., Jane, Milton. and
Elijah, all of whom, except Alexander and Eliza, settled
Daniel Clark and his wife, who was a Miss Shelton, were
natives of Scotland. They emigrated to America and
settled first in Lancaster county, Virginia, from whence
they removed to Culpeper county, where they both died
about 1799. They had six children William, John, George,
Robert, Elizabeth and Polly. William married Elizabeth
Hudnall, and settled in Mason county, Virginia, where his
wife died December 14, 1816, and he died at the same
place July 4, 1826. Their children were John H., Frances
S., Jemima J., Elizabeth, Nancy, William M., and Polly A.
. William M. married Elizabeth H. McMullin, and settled
in Audrain county in 1839. Mr. Clark is a good neighbor
and citizen, hospitable, industrious and persevering. He
has a remarkable memory in regard to dates, and can
remember the date of nearly every event that has occurred
during his life.
The following persons were residing in Loutre township in
1848: R. P. Adams, J. D. Lorton, Jas. H. Claughton, Lewis
Young, L. R. Turner, C. M. hall, Wesley B. Smith, Matthew
H. Smith, J. W. Barry, Thomas Lorton, John Hasler,
Spencer Davis, Henry J. Williams, Hugh A. Todd, John W.
Kemp, James Nichols, John Lorton, Spencer B. Anderson,
Alexander Thomas, Alexander Reed, Thomas J. Crane, Shelby
Clark, Mastin Vaughan, Joseph Howard, Banks B. Hall, A.
M. Petty, George Cail, George W. Brown, William N. Clark,
David J. Fort, D. J. Cail.
Some time (probably a year) previous to the building
of the C. & A. R. R. to Mexico, there was talk by the
company of running said road through Benton up to
Clinton, in Callaway county; accordingly, one A. G.
Mason, from the East, bought 1,300 acres of land where
Benton now stands, and on one-half section laid out a
handsome town, with a view of inducing the C. & A. to
come through here, but failing in this the enterprise was
abandoned. Soon after this Samuel Barker moved from
Lincoln county, Missouri, and built the first business
house here, which was occupied by himself and son,
Theodore, as general store up to 1874, when he rented
this building and built another business house, both
houses still standing. In June, 1881, Maj. J. S. Rollins,
of Columbia, had the town resurveyed and platted and plat
recorded. The town embraces about 50 acres.
The first blacksmith shop was started by B. F. Griggs,
about the year 1870.
There are three general stores, to wit: Messrs. Whiteside
& Orr, Messrs. Barker & Brett, and Charles Gray.
The latter is also express agent and postmaster. There is
a grain elevator, owned by Hisey & James, of Mexico;
also another grain house owned by Whiteside & Orr; a
hotel and boarding-house, owned by H. N. Neely; a
black-smith and wagon shop, owned and run by J. A. Lanig
; a neat little school-house, built two years ago. The
Presbyterians will build a church next year. The
Presbyterians are the only organized denomination in the
John Cail, hotel proprietor; C. B. Clark, hotel
proprietor; G. R. Romans, druggist; E. R. Douglass,
physician; J. W. Douglass & Co., general store; Gantt
& Fish, general store; Rev. W. T. Henson; O. Kreiger
& Co., grocers; T. J. Lowder, grocer; Rev. T. J.
Marlow; Andrew Pihala, hardware; James Murry, hay press;
J. S. Muster, undertaker; Miss Ida Overbagh, milliner; S.
V. Overbagh, postmaster; Louis Winters, shoe-maker; T. D.
Owen, lumber yard; M. Rogers & Co., milliners; C. E.
Burchard, railroad and express agent; A. W. Tappscott,
justice of the peace; Wm. F. Taylor, physician; J. B.
Torreyson, blacksmith; Frank Soil, blacksmith; John
Weischouse, blacksmith; N. F. Aubrey, saddler; Geo. W.
Ousley, livery stable.