HISTORY OF CUIVRE TOWNSHIP VANDALIA FARBER
Its Pioneers and Early Settlers -Vandalia - Its History and First Business Men -Newspapers - Daniel's Bank -Vandalia's Growth - Shipments from August 1, 1882, to August 1, 1883 -Vandalia Triple Alliance -Vandalia Lodge No. 491, A. F. and A. M. - A. O. U. W.-Vandalia Lodge No. 835, I. O. O. F.- Covenant Encampment No. 82, I. O. O. F. - Public schools - Business Directory - Farber- Business Directory.
last of the seventeenth century, a small boy was found in
Wales who could give no account of his parents or
himself, except that his first name was George. George
manifested a fondness for music, and his friends surnamed
him Musick, as the word was then spelled. He emigrated to
Virginia in the beginning of the eighteenth century,
where he raised five sons, viz.: Daniel, George, Alexis,
Ephraim and Abraham. He also raised some daughters, but
of these we know neither the number nor names. Ephraim
married a Miss Roy, and raised a family in Spottsylvania
county. He raised two daughters, one of whom married a
Jenkins, and one a Cauthorn. He raised four sons, viz.:
Abraham, John, Thomas R. and Ephraim. Thomas R. Musick
was born October 10, 1757. He joined the Baptist church,
and commenced preaching at about 17 years of age. He went
to North Carolina during the Revolutionary War, where be
married Mary Nevel. Thomas served a part of the time in
the American army. He removed to South Carolina in the
year 1789, and in 1794, he removed to Barren county. He
visited Missouri several times while it was under the
Spanish- government, and preached in St. Louis county as
early as the year 1797. While preaching there he was
frequently threatened with violence. In the spring of
1804 he removed with his family to Missouri and settled
in St. Louis county, one mile north of the present town
of Bridgeton. Shortly afterward he instituted Fee Fee
Creek Baptist Church, which was doubtless the first
Baptist church west of the Mississippi river, of which he
was pastor for many years. In the year of 1823 or 1824
his wife Mary died at home in St. Louis county. After the
death of his wife, he made his home at the house of his
nephew, Ury Musick, a son of Abraham Musick. He continued
to preach in various parts of Missouri and Illinois until
a short time previous to his death, which occurred on the
2d of December, 1842, at the house of Ury Musick. The
family of Thomas consisted of three sons and six
daughters, viz.; William, Nancy, Lewis, Mary, Charlotte,
Sarah, Drucilla, Joyce and Thomas. William died at seven
or eight years of age, and Thomas at sixteen; all the
others lived to be grown and married. Lewis Musick was
born the lst day of February, 1784. He came with his
father to Missouri in 1804, and married Nancy Martin, who
died some years afterward, after which he married Mary
Fitzwater. Lewis removed to Pike county in the fall of
1819, and from there to Audrain county in the spring of
1839. From Missouri he went to California, starting on
the 15th of April, 1849. He died in Sacramento Valley,
October 27, 1849. He was engaged in trading in live stock
during the greater part of his life, and in the course of
his business, was occupied in driving horses and cattle
in various directions, all the way from Texas to
Selkirk's colony on North Red river. Lewis raised ten
children: Lawson T., Elvira, Lafrenier C., Mary Ann,
Charlotte M., Sarah T., Thomas R., Ephraim L., James J.,
and Mandana A. Lafrenier was born in St. Louis county on
the 29th day of July, 1815, and married Jane D. Hayden.
He joined the Baptist church in March, 1833, commenced
preaching immediately afterward, and was ordained in
miles east of Mexico, and 27 miles west of Louisiana and
the Mississippi river, on the Chicago and Alton Railway,
is Vandalia, a town of 800 souls, and the most important
trading and shipping point between the cities named. It
is 30 miles distant from Hannibal, on the north, the same
distance from Montgomery City on the south, and has in
all directions a splendid farming country, rich in
grasses, grain fields, herds and farm improvements, and
abundantly capable of giving impulse to a city of 4,000
people. The town was laid out in 1870 by Aaron McPike,
Judge Caldwell, Amos Ladd and Col. Haden, is
substantially and tastefully built and besides a
fortunate location, has two newspapers, three pretty
churches, a substantial and attractive school building, a
steam flouring mill and two steam grain elevators, an
encampment and lodge of Odd Fellows, a Masonic lodge, and
flourishing organizations of the A. O. U. W. and Good
Templars. Vandalia is a strong commercial town, the trade
in general merchandise, lumber, hardware and farming
machinery being very heavy for a town of this class. From
300,000 to 400,000 bushels of grain are annually shipped
by the Alton road from this point, the yearly export of
live stock closely approximating 275 car loads, and it is
probably within the bounds to estimate the total yearly
trade of the city, in all lines, at $600,000. Vandalia
enjoys a high measure of prosperity in all departments.
The municipality is out of debt, with a surplus in the
treasury. The merchants are generally substantial men of
prime ability and credit, carry large stocks, discount
their bills of credit and do business by the best modern
methods. The trade of the town is annually increasing by
about 25 per cent, and everything about the city
indicates solid and permanent thrift.
two newspapers in Vandalia. This fact is sufficient of
itself to show that the people of the town and vicinity
are a reading, reflecting people, and that they believe
in supporting and encouraging newspapers.
* See Biographical Department of this work.
Daniel, in January, 1883, succeeded Mays & Buckhartt,
who had for some time operated a private bank up to that
statement makes a good financial showing, especially for
a bank which has been so recently established.
of a town is indicated by the nature of the country
surrounding it, and it is not the town, usually, that
springs up like a mushroom, that develops into a point of
commercial interest.. The town that grows gradually as
the country progresses is the place that grows into
Following are the number of cars of grain shipped from August 1, 1882, to August 1, 1883:
shipped from August 1, 1882, to August 1, 1883:
also be found statistics of business for 1883, as
published in the Argus of January 19, 1884 :
The above is the sum total of the mercantile trade with the exception of a grocery firm, furniture house, two hotels and two printing offices, which would probably swell the sum to $245,437.00.
premiums earned, 1883 $1,850 00
school has been Wonderfully increased in the meantime,
necessitating the addition of a fourth room. The number
of pupils enrolled are as follows : -
we are pleased to say, is in splendid working order and
reflects great credit upon the excellent corps of
teachers in charge.
Vandalia Triple Alliance, Camp No. 79-Was organized November 10, 1883. The charter members were P. A. Emmons, J. K. Mateer, G. W. Pigg, E. D. Harrison, W. P. Layne, R. T. Seltzer, W. H. Bland, A. B. Johnson, B. M. Gains, S. J. Bland, C. P. Hawkins, H. S. Greer, Mrs. R. J. Hawkins, Mrs. M. J. Harrison, Mrs. W. B. Johnson, Mrs. Galloway, Silas Hendrix, J. T. Sharp, R. S. Pearson and H. A. Gass. Officers-P. A. Emmons, P. ; J. K. Mateer, K.; G. W. Pigg, C. C.; H. S. Greer, C. G.; R. T. Seltzer, Sergt.; W. P. Layne, 1st Lieut.; C. P. Hawkins, 2d Lieut.; J. T. Sharp, Sec'y; A. B. Johnson, Treas.
Lodge No. 491, A. F. and A. M. -This lodge was organized
October 27, 1875, with the following charter members: J.
H. Bird, R. R. Bird, W. A. Flynn, J. M. Boyden, J. F.
Crawford, J. Rose, W. O. Shannon, S. Himan, H. C.
Fletcher, Wm. Brown, John .Naysmith, B. W. B. Madison, J.
M. Beshears and several others whose names were not
recorded on the minutes. Officers-R. R. Bird, W. M. ; J.
H. Bird, S. W.; W. A. Flynn, J. W.; J. F. Crawford,
Treas.; J. M. Beshears, Secy.; H. C. Fletcher, tyler.
November 6, 1876 -K. A. Laird, W. M.; J. H. Thole, S. W.;
W. H. McFarland, J. W.; J. F. Crawford, Treas. ; J. W.
Boyden, Secy.; W. P. Warford, S., D. D. H. Merrell, J.
D.; H. A. Thole, tyler. June 25, 1877-K. A. Laird, W. M.;
J. H. Thole, S. W.; W. P. Warford, J. W.; J. F. Crawford,
Treas.; W. A. Flynn, Secy.; H. A. Thole, S. D.; Jesse
Irvin, J. D. ; Bros. Wells and Bland, stewards; J. W.
Boyden, tyler. June 24, 1878-J. H. Thole, W. M.; H. A.
Thole, S. W.; S. D. Ely, J. W.; D. L. S. Bland; Treas.;
W. A. Flynn, Secy.; E. H. Allison, S. D.; Thomas Cowley,
J. D.; W. A. Harris and D. P. Daniels, stewards; J. M.
Boyden, tyler. June 24, 1879 - R. R. Bird, W. M.; D. L.
S. Bland, S. W.; S. D. Ely, J. W.; K. A. Laird, Treas.;
W. A. Flynn, Secy.; W. A. Harris, S. D.; E. H. Allison,
J. D.; H. A. Thole, tyler; Daniel and J. W. Hughes,
stewards. June 24, 1880- J. H. Thole, W. M.; S. D. Ely,
S. W.; E. H. Allison, J. W.; W. A. Flynn was elected
secretary but was never installed; G. H. Smith, P. T.; K.
A. Laird, Treas.; H. A. Thole, S. D.; W. A. Harris, J.
D.; T. B. Cowley, tyler. December 27, 1881 - S. D. Ely,
W. M.; E. H. Allison, S. W.; J. F. Crawford, J. W.; K. A.
Laird, Treas.; J. B. Madison, Secy.; J. H. Thole, S. D.;
Jesse Irvin, J. D.; W. A. Harris, tyler. June 27,
1882-Jeremiah Rose, W. M.; E. H. Allison, S. W.; S. W.
Harris, J. W.; K. A. Laird, Treas.; G. H. Smith, Secy.;
J. H. Laird, S. D.; D. D. Graffort, J. D.; W. H. Watson,
tyler. The lodge numbers fifty-two members.
Vandalia Public School was organized under the village
act in April, 1880. The following gentlemen were elected
as members of the Board of Education: Mr. S. D. Ely,
Pres. ; Hon. C. G. Daniel, clerk; J. F. Crawford, Treas.;
D. L. S. Bland, M. D., Capt. R. S. Alcoke and B. F.
Warford. A fine brick school-house, costing about $5,000,
was erected, and H. A. Gass and Geo. D. Bowman were
employed to take charge of the school.
The Argus (weekly), Port. A. Emmons, proprietor; J. W. Balthrope, saloon; C. Blackburn & Bro., druggists; Dalzell L. S. Bland, physician; Thomas Binkley, shoe-maker; J. M. Culbertson, grain elevator; Charles G. Daniel, lawyer and banker; Ely & Utteback hardware; L. M. Burgess, barber; J. H. Thole, blacksmith; R. O Neeley, contractor; J. H. Terrill, physician; Mrs. G. D. Martin, millinery; J. M. Evans, furniture; I. Roland, produce; S. U. Branstetter, grocer; Bratton, grocer; W. E. Riney, livery; Jesse Barnett, livery; J. D. Hanna, live stock dealer; W. R. Gwillim, harness and saddlery; Jno. V. Kisel, shoe-maker; Geo. W. Daniel, grain dealer; Pearson & Bro., general store; Lewellyn & Coontz, lumber; Riney, Roberts & Co., general store; Alfred W. Robinson, druggist, Jno. A. Smith, general store ; C. E. Blain, saloon and billiards; Daniel & Towler, dry goods; Vandalia House, Abraham L. Liter, proprietor; Wm. W. Watkins, justice of the peace, notary public, real estate agent and lawyer; Whittaker & Hendrix, blacksmith; Mrs. L. E. Pigg, millinery store; A. Eddleman, grocer; A. Sickles, blacksmith; J. R. Pitzer, grocer; Mrs. D. E. Barnett, millinery; K A. Laird & Son, general merchandise; Phillip Forbach, boots and shoes; H. S. Greer, lumber; W. A. Harris, marshal and livery; C B. Jamison, barber; August A. Hesse, tailor; J. T. Sharp, dentist, J. R. Bratton, _______; The Leader (weekly), T. R. Dodge & Son, proprietors; F. Leigle, Central Hotel; Jno. K. Mateer, hardware; A. Mergell, baker; Hisey & James, grain elevator; John C. Parrish, physician.
is a station on the Chicago & Alton Railroad, eighteen miles north-east of Mexico, the county seat, and 142 miles from St. Louis.
T.K. Gilliland, postmaster; Day & Gilliland, general store; Minor, Crow & Lee, general store; Martin & Llewellyn, drugs ; Crow & Sutton, drugs ; Isaac Kilby, furniture; A. W. Thomas, black-smith; Wm. Kinker, blacksmith; W. Riney, blacksmith; Mrs. Earhart, Farber Hotel ; J. A. Elzea, hotel; S. C. Adams, physician; W. E. White, physician ; _______ Blount, physician.
Chapters 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7- 8- 9- 10